Skip to main content

A Manifesto On Deadbeat Dads



Parenting isn’t easy. Anyone saying otherwise has never been one  - or at least a good one. When I became divorced in ’05 my children were 10 and 18 months old –young by any standard. I can still remember the trepidation that first weekend alone with them. Would I be able to do this on my own?  

That first year was frequently agonizing and consistently chaotic. It’s sad to say but early on I regularly dreaded those Friday afternoons and Sunday night couldn’t get here fast enough. This single parenting thing wasn’t something I signed up for and without a local support network I was doing it on my own. The simple act of going out to eat, the three of us, was such a production with diaper bags, strollers and bottles it became grueling at best.  

There were lots of times when I wanted nothing more than to unload them both, head south, and never look back. My entire life had been turned upside down and not only was it taxing it was seriously cramping my re-emerging social life.  Who in their right mind would date a single dad divorced less than a year plus two toddlers in tow?  

There’s been seven years of water under that bridge since those first days and I now look back on these struggles with a sense gratitude. I’m thankful my kids were too young to remember all my mistakes and I’m still amazed to have even survived with my sanity. Those close to me at the time readily admitted the whole thing was a tragic situation. Today I wear those years like a badge of honor because I know without them, I’d not be who I am now. I surely wouldn’t have the connection my kids and share I and I wouldn’t have the experiences to frame my decisions. Lastly, and arguably most importantly to me, I rest confident in the fact that the majority of men would have bailed the first chance possible.   

**

This post was prompted by a single mom blogger’s recent article about the disappearance of her ex-husband from his responsibilities and his children. It’s a heartbreaking read indicative of the current state of so many single fathers. She ends with these words:  

“So like that, with the plague of child support haunting him, he's gone. And as I'm finishing up this post, I have Claire sleeping next to me after crying herself to sleep, asking why he can't come back and be with us. And I quietly ask myself, "How does he deserve these tears?" 

 With every ounce of composure I could muster I responded:  

 “Let me give you my first reaction after I finished this post "I want to find this man and personally beat the shit out of him". I now understand where your response came from to my post about single dads. As much as I push for father custody, its guys like this that make me consider murder for hire.  

I'm going to say this..."he's a loser". Not only is he not a man but he isn't worthy of the designation of being in the same conversation as a daddy figure.”  

** 

As hard as I try to put myself in other people’s shoes I just don’t have it in me to understand how a boy (he isn’t worthy of man) can so blatantly walk out of his children’s lives. I can think of no other human act more selfish nor is there a solitary excuse that justifies. This is made even more infuriating for me because I’ve been there; I’m familiar with the many options that could pull a single father away from his children but in the final analysis there is nothing that condones leaving. I don’t care if… 

  • there are no good jobs where you are.  
  • that big promotion is waiting on the west coast.   
  • it’s the best move for your future. 
  • she’s the love of your life.  
  • you are depressed, lonely, and think you need your mommy.  
  • you’re scared you can’t be a single dad.  

You may fabricate any reason you like but the fact remains if you walk out on your kids you’re a disgrace to men everywhere and deserve little more than a rope and a tree. Frankly the term ‘deadbeat’ isn’t a strong enough reference and jail isn’t a sufficient enough punishment. An absent dad is a child molester…you’ve raped your children of a healthy childhood because you decided comfort and self-interest were more important than sacrifice and parental responsibilities.  

It’s because of your dishonorable behavior that little girls grow up with a distorted view of boys and ultimately men. Because of fathers with your lack of character there is now a world of women searching for love and affection in unhealthy and destructive ways. Because you weren’t there to show your son what true manhood should look like I now must prepare my daughter to be skeptical of all men. And worst of all because you felt being a single dad was too much work there’s now an abyss in your child’s soul and you’ve forced them to believe that you’re absence is somehow their fault. 

It’s because of your irresponsibility that I have to fight for extra time with my kids. On account of derelicts like you who don’t take any form of responsibility, court systems automatically award custody to the mother while I’m downgraded to ‘visitation’.   

Let me ask you a question, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!?  

You think that you can just walk out on your duties without consequences? You think that you can simply create a whole new life for yourself while those you left behind fend for themselves and without ramifications? You might be able to leave, but you can’t out run your conscience. When you lay your pathetic head on the pillow at night you know what you’ve done and you know what kind of person you really are.  

And ladies how could you associate yourself with someone like this? If you for one second know that the man you’re with has walked out on his children and you continue to stay with him – you’re not a shade better than he is! Because by your acceptance he can rest easier with his behavior and he is able to hide his shame and disgrace behind your love and affection.  

I don’t have an easy answer that will stop men from walking out on their kids. But in a society that regards abusers of mistreated animals with more disdain than parents of mistreated children the first place to start is with us. Michael Vick got almost two years in prison while these losers freely roam the streets every day. I don’t care if you meet your financial responsibilities, if you’re an absent dad you’re a deadbeat dad.  

Originally published in 2011 

Popular posts from this blog

Sins of the Father

Our fathers sinned, and are no more; it is we who have borne their iniquities . Lamentations 5:7 “Dad? Am I a good person?”  “I think so, I know so, yes.”  “Will – will that help me when things get really rough?”  “It’ll help.”  “That’s not good enough, Dad.”  “Good is no guarantee for your body. It’s mainly peace of mind --- “But sometimes, Dad, aren’t you so scared that even --- “---the mind isn’t peaceful?” His father nodded, his face uneasy.  “Dad’, said Will, his voice uneasy. “Are you a good person?”  “To you and your mother, yes, I try. But no man’s a hero to himself. I’ve lived with me a lifetime. I know everything worth knowing about myself---” “And, adding it up…?   “The sum? As they come and go, and I mostly sit very still and tight, yes, I’m all right.”  “Then Dad,” asked Will, ‘why aren’t you happy?”  “The front lawn…let’s see… at one thirty in the morning…is no place to start a philosophical…”  “I just wanted to know is all.”  Something Wicked This Way Comes  I haven’t fo

The Price Of A Good Man

Buy the truth and sell it not.   Proverbs 23:23 There is a world of difference between a ‘good guy’ and a ‘good man’. One will get you drunk, make you laugh, and if really lucky, help you move. The other will irritate, humble, and inspire you. I know lots of ‘good guys’, I can count on one hand who is a ‘good man’.   Yet it seems the two have become almost synonymous. I am not sure if this is because of confusion or exhaustion. Are we unsure of what is a ‘good man’ because we lack a clear definition, or do we not care to be bothered learning the difference? This is a shame because whether it be superhero notions, a future spouse, or a honest mechanic, there is something in most of us that longs for the ‘good man’.     **   For reasons I do not entirely understand, I am drawn to late 19th century British pastors. Men so utterly obscure today it is amazing I discovered them at all.  And while they are preachers who proudly proclaimed the Gospel in their day, they are also men who clearly

The Mirage of Long Distance Love

Many years ago, in another life long before the Queen, I met a woman during a business conference. She was blessed with hazel eyes that could bring any man to his knees. Introduced through a mutual colleague, we got to know each other between breakout sessions and cocktail hours.  We stayed in touch and what started as two professional thirty something’s enjoying time as schedules permitted grew into a 300-mile long-distance relationship. Ignited by those first days in Memphis, our relationship was now fueled on long phone conversations and short weekend visits. From the beginning, things felt right. Divorced only six months, I already had a few failed ‘relationships’ in my rearview mirror, but this one, I believed, was different. She always said - and I always did -  the right things. We were made for each other, and both knew something more than coincidence had happened.     Everything seemed perfect when together. The conversation easy, the passion intense. I believed no one underst