Skip to main content

A Girl of a Different Kind

 


My father never offered his advice about girls, though I understand he was moderately popular with them; and after thirty years of marriage you think he’d have something valuable to say. He never spoke about the secret of his marital success or how to make relationships work. He never shared how a woman’s character and integrity are more important than her personality or the color of her hair. He never counseled me to look through her eyes to what hides behind them, and he didn’t caution that in this world there are ordinary girls and girls of a different kind - or how to tell the difference. 

His neglect would plague me for more than twenty years. 

My impression of women and relationships, for most of my adult life, can be summarized like this; if she was marginally alcoholic, somewhat trampy, overly desperate, and was just attractive enough to bolster my ego I believe she had sufficient criteria for a girlfriend, and if she stayed faithful maybe even a wife. But I would gladly negotiate on any of them for the right set of implants. I’m profoundly insecure and, absent that moral barometer to gauge them, I quickly latched on to anyone showing the slightest interest and just narcissistic enough to get distracted by another possessing similar attributes in greater abundance. Tissue-thin character is exceptionally unreliable. 

But sensuality will never compensate for sincerity and shallow relationships quickly evaporate from the heat of bourgeois passions.  But to learn that valuable lesson would take the failure of a marriage, four years of what RenĂ©e Pascal termed ‘licking the earth’, and a dose of heavenly inspiration. Only through enduring one failed relationship on top of another did I finally understand that anything honorable and lasting can never take root and thrive in a cesspool of self-indulgence. 

__

The Queen came into my life as I was emerging from the isolation and darkness of an emotional winter. During that journey I suffered the brutally cold consequences of a thousand bad choices. I made it through those lonely agonizing months reading, praying, and relearning everything I believed I knew about women, love, and relationships. Walking out of that gloomy forest my confidence was ravished but my spirit rejuvenated. Only through a crystal clear understanding - acknowledging my motivations and accepting the responsibility for my deepest regrets - could I set my foot on a nobler path that might lead to a higher place. 

She and I believe our relationship was sparked with the flint of divine intervention; the timing was no mere coincidence, nor was it by circumstance that our first date, the next morning, took place at the church we unknowingly both attended.  No two people could have been more prepared for each other. She also had spent the better part of a year ‘getting right with herself’ and was admittedly different than who she once was. But without my time in the wilderness I would not have had the clearness of vision or the cleanness of soul to recognize that this woman, broken and restored, was no ordinary person but was, in fact, what I had been praying for on so many of those cold dark nights alone. 

__ 

This week makes our fifth year on this journey, together. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before I struggle to find the proper words that adequately exemplify the influence it, and more importantly she, has had on my life. The Queen is the one and only woman on the planet or off it. No other comes into my field of vision. She is first, and every other woman is nowhere. I want to spend the rest of my life in her presence. 

Her patience and understanding are mythical, virtue spotless, and her culinary salad skills are now legendary. My respect for her is limitless and her wisdom and motherhood inspire me to be a better father.  She is my greatest friend, my deepest desire, and is now my future bride – all because she is a girl of a different kind. 

Thank you for five wonderful years, my Queen. I love you most! 

Popular posts from this blog

The Price Of A Good Man

Buy the truth and sell it not.   Proverbs 23:23 There is a world of difference between a ‘good guy’ and a ‘good man’. One will get you drunk, make you laugh, and if really lucky, help you move. The other will irritate, humble, and inspire you. I know lots of ‘good guys’, I can count on one hand who is a ‘good man’.   Yet it seems the two have become almost synonymous. I am not sure if this is because of confusion or exhaustion. Are we unsure of what is a ‘good man’ because we lack a clear definition, or do we not care to be bothered learning the difference? This is a shame because whether it be superhero notions, a future spouse, or a honest mechanic, there is something in most of us that longs for the ‘good man’.     **   For reasons I do not entirely understand, I am drawn to late 19th century British pastors. Men so utterly obscure today it is amazing I discovered them at all.  And while they are preachers who proudly proclaimed the Gospel in their day, they are also men who clearly

Rites of Passage

--> When we found out, in 2002, that we were having a son I secretly freaked. Not because I did not necessarily want a son, I could not help visualizing my unborn boy terrorizing girls, racing cars on the backstreets of Atlanta, and trying to burn down his high school gymnasium. I had virtually convinced myself, before he was much bigger than a golf ball, that I would have to send him off to a faraway Draconian style boarding school or a juvenile detention center if I hoped for him to grow up into functioning adult. Fortunately, my anxiety waned after ‘Bubba’ was born and as we celebrate his seventh birthday this weekend, I could not imagine my life now without him in it. ⇹ I think for a lot of dads the thought of raising a son seems almost unnatural. Much of that is because so many of our fathers missed the mark with us. As such, we were not handed down the right road map showing us how to usher our infant sons into manhood. And that is not necessarily our

Love And Money: The Complications if 'I do' is a Redo

--> Our children are now reaching the age where talks about romance have gone from the theoretical to the practical. We are past the ‘what is most important in a person’ discussion and the ‘what a person does means more than what they say’ conversation. It is down to the real business, the basics, of romance, and in 2018 there is perhaps no more urgent topic than the intersection of love and money.    ⚜⚜ The longest relationship I had between my first marriage and the Queen, was an 18-month stint with a divorced mother of two. Her endearing qualities were regularly overshadowed by her eldest daughter’s incessant whining, and credit card balances that led me to wonder if she had a secret life. We often talked about her debt woes, how the interest and payments were too high and as things stood she would never pay it off. What began as a mostly passing concern on my part, when our relationship started -it was her problem not mine - grew into a hesitating